Follow these steps to set up Parental Controls:
- Open the System Settings software from the HOME Menu.
- Select Parental Controls and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Choose a PIN code to ensure that your child cannot change your chosen settings. You will be asked to enter the PIN twice to confirm.
- Select a secret question and answer in case you forget your PIN. This can used to retrieve access to Parental Controls if you forget your PIN.
- You can choose to register an email address; please choose an email address your child does not have access to. If you forget your PIN and the answer to your secret question, you can request for a master key to be sent to your registered email address, which will allow you to reset your PIN code. You will be asked to enter the email address twice.
Please use an email address that your child cannot access. A confirmation email will be sent to the registered email address. If you are using a spam filter, please ensure that your settings allow emails from @nintendo.net. The confirmation email also contains an electronic record of the serial number of your Nintendo 3DS family system.
- By default, all Parental Control options are enabled. You can individually configure the settings to your needs by selecting the separate topics. Please note that you will need the PIN code to access certain important functions, including Internet Settings and Format System Memory.
- Once you are satisfied with your settings, tap the "Done" button to confirm. You will be taken back to the Parental Controls front screen.
If you wish to change your settings at any time, please enter Parental Controls via System Settings. You will need to enter the PIN code to access the Parental Controls software after it has been set up. From the Parental Controls front screen you can adjust settings, change your PIN, secret question, secret answer or email address, or clear Parental Controls settings entirely.
Click here to find out what can be restricted with Parental Controls.