Joy-Con Control Sticks Are Not Responding or Respond Incorrectly
The information in this article can help you when the control stick on a Joy-Con controller drifts or does not respond correctly.
- These steps may fix your issue. If your problem isn’t resolved, you can set up a repair for affected Joy-Con controllers.
- Prior to troubleshooting a controller, we strongly recommend you verify that the control stick configuration is set to the standard inputs.
- You can tell that a controller's inputs have been remapped because throughout different menus, a wrench icon will be displayed beside the in-use controller in the bottom-left corner of the console screen.
- If you don’t know or remember the custom configuration for your controller, you can put the console into sleep mode. Upon waking up the console, you’ll have the option to reset the controller inputs.
- If the control sticks on a Nintendo Switch Lite system are not responding correctly, see Control Sticks Are Not Responding on Nintendo Switch Lite.
Note: Joy-Con controllers cannot be attached to a Nintendo Switch Lite system. However, they can be used as wireless controllers with Nintendo Switch Lite.
What to do
- With the Joy-Con controllers attached to the console, verify that they register correctly as attached within the Controllers screen, accessible from the HOME Menu.
- If the Joy-Con controllers are not registering correctly on the console, please read Joy-Con Not Recognised or Not Registering While Attached to the Console.
- Ensure your console has the latest system update.
- Ensure the Joy-Con controllers have the latest controller firmware installed.
- Remove any skins or covers, if any, from the problematic controllers, and calibrate the control sticks.
- If the issue is occurring with a specific game or application, try the following:
- Check for any available software updates for that game.
- Check the electronic manual for that game. Some games, such as Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, support in-game tilt controls. If these are activated, it may seem as if the control sticks are not responding correctly. If this is the case, the in-game tilt controls may need to be deactivated.
Situation not resolved
- If the control sticks cannot be calibrated, the non-working Joy-Con controller(s) will need to be repaired. Do not send in the console.
- If the Joy-Con controllers register correctly as being attached to the console but the control sticks are not responding correctly, the non-working controller(s) will need to be repaired. Do not send in the console.
Please click here to book a repair.