“Unable to connect to the Internet” Message When Starting Software
The information in this article can help if you try to start a game or software on your Nintendo Switch console and receive the message "Unable to connect to the internet. Please check your settings".
This error can occur when an internet connection is required to open the software you have selected, including in the following situations:
- You are using a non-primary console for the Nintendo Acccount that downloaded the game. On a non-primary console, you must be connected to the internet and select the user linked to the Nintendo Account that was used to download the game.
- The software must connect to the internet to verify you have a Nintendo Switch Online membership (for example, to play NES & Super NES - Nintendo Switch Online games).
- The software requires an internet connection to play (for example, to play Cloud versions of games).
- If the software does not require an internet connection, you are most likely not using the primary console for the Nintendo Account that purchased the software. You can play without an internet connection by using the primary console instead or by making the console you are using the new primary console. The solution depends on how you intend to play your games across multiple consoles.
- If the software requires an internet connection to play or to verify your Nintendo Switch Online membership, connect to the internet and open the software again.