Restoring the console to factory settings
All of the data stored in the console's system memory will be deleted, including software data, save data, screenshots and user information.
Use this feature before exchanging or disposing of your Nintendo Switch console.
- You will also become unable to use software data saved on a microSD card.
If you are trying to reformat your console because a problem has occurred, we recommend that you try restoring the factory settings without deleting save data.
Restore factory settings in a place where the console can connect to the internet
If you restore factory settings while the console is not connected to the internet, the console will not be deregistered as the active console for downloads for your Nintendo Account.
The console will be automatically deregistered the first time you start Nintendo eShop on it after restoring it to factory settings, but in the meantime you will not be able to register another console as the active console for downloads for your Nintendo Account.
Please read the information here if you exchange or dispose of a Nintendo Switch console that is still registered as the active console for downloads for your Nintendo Account.
Make sure you are aware of the following before restoring your console to factory settings
Restoring the console to factory settings will delete all data, and you will no longer be able to use data saved on a microSD card.
- The following types of data, saved in the system memory, will all be deleted:
- Software data
- Save data
- User information
- Nintendo Account link
- Registration of your console as the active console for downloads for your Nintendo Account (only when connected to the internet)
- All settings on the console
- All information records such as error history
- You will become unable to use software data saved on a microSD card.
Screenshots saved to a microSD card will not be affected and can continue to be used.
The following will not be affected if the console is restored to factory settings:
- The console's system version
- Nintendo Accounts linked to users on the console will not be deleted
Redownloading software data
Your Nintendo eShop funds and account activity will be saved to Nintendo Shopping Services. If you link your Nintendo Account to another user, you will be able to redownload software data from Nintendo eShop.
- If you are unable to redownload software data, check to make sure that a different console is not registered as the active console for downloads for your Nintendo Account.
- Redownloading may not be possible for software that is no longer being distributed.
How to restore the console to factory settings
Open System Settings on the HOME Menu, then select System ⇒ Formatting Options ⇒ Restore Factory Settings.