Problems with Download Codes (Software, DLC, and Themes)
- Error Message: The Code You Entered Could Not Be Recognized
- Error Message: The Software That Corresponds to the Code is Not Currently Being Distributed
- A game or theme download code is not working or invalid (including scratched, damaged, or illegible)
- If your download code is lost or missing, click here.
- If you see a message that your download code has already been used, click here.
- For assistance with download codes issued through My Nintendo, click here.
- If a download code is missing, Click Here.
- Digital game purchases made through the Nintendo website are downloaded directly to your system and do not receive a download code. For help with this process, click here.
- Download codes purchased from retailers or bundled with Nintendo products do not expire. However, download codes given out for a specific promotion (Hyrule Warriors DLC pack, Pokémon distributions, etc) and those obtained through My Nintendo will usually have an expiration date.
What to Do:
- Verify that you are entering your download code correctly.
- Themes - The download code must be redeemed within the Theme Shop on a Nintendo 3DS family system.
- Games - The download code must be redeemed on the Nintendo eShop for Nintendo Switch, Wii U or Nintendo 3DS family systems.
- Games can only be redeemed on the system for which they are intended; Nintendo Switch games can only be redeemed on a Nintendo Switch system, Nintendo 3DS games can only be redeemed on a Nintendo 3DS family system, and Wii U games can only be redeemed on Wii U.
- A DLC download code should be used within the game for which it is intended.
- The download code is a 16-digit code that is printed on the receipt you received when you made the purchase. (Codes included in system bundles are printed on an insert inside the packaging.)
- If some numbers are hard to read, try entering similar numbers. (For example, a 0 may look like an 8, a 5 may look like a 2, etc).
- Verify that the country setting on your system is correct on your Nintendo Switch, Wii U or Nintendo 3DS family system.
- A download code for a European game can only be redeemed on a European system.
- If you are attempting to use a download code or system from a different region (a European download code with a North American system, for example), the download code will not work.
- Check your previously downloaded titles in the Nintendo eShop. If you already redeemed the download code, you can re-download the game on your Nintendo Switch, Wii U or Nintendo 3DS family system without re-entering it.
- If the download code is still not working, it may not have been activated correctly at the store. Please check with the retailer that provided the code.
Search the Support section