Joy-Con Not Responding or Responding Incorrectly When Used Wirelessly
- When using the Joy-Con controllers wirelessly, characters seem to move on their own or do not respond correctly.
- When used wirelessly, the Joy-Con controllers respond intermittently.
- The Joy-Con controller appears to lose connection with the console.
- Prior to troubleshooting a controller, we strongly recommend that you verify that the button mapping settings have not been changed.
- You can tell that a controller's button mapping has been changed because throughout different menus, a spanner icon will be displayed beside the controller in-use at the bottom-left corner of the touch screen.
- If you can't remember the button mapping settings for your controller, you can set the console to sleep mode. Upon waking it, you’ll have the option to reset the button mapping.
What to Do:
Try these steps:
- Ensure your console has the latest system version.
- Ensure the Joy-Con controllers are charged.
- Decrease the distance between the Joy-Con and the Nintendo Switch console.
- Ensure that the Nintendo Switch console is placed to minimize interference with the Joy-Con. It is best if the Nintendo Switch console is placed out in the open and that it is not:
- Behind a TV
- Near an aquarium
- Placed in or under a metal object
- Pressed against a large amount of wires and cords
- Within three to four feet (1-1.5 metres) of another wireless device, such as a wireless speaker or a wireless access point.
- Check for possible sources of interference and turn them off. Interference can be caused by devices, such as:
- Laptops, tablets, etc.
- Wireless headsets
- Wireless printers
- Wireless speakers
- Cordless phones
- USB 3.0-compatible devices such as hard drives, thumb drives, LAN adapters, etc.
In most cases it will be enough to move these devices three to four feet (1-1.5 metres) away from the Nintendo Switch console and/or Joy-Con controllers. However, if you continue to experience this issue, please turn these devices off while using the Nintendo Switch console.