Information on Changing Your Nintendo Switch Online Membership Type (Individual or Family)
- If you want to change the timeframe for your current membership, click here.
Please use the information below to see if there is a solution that works for your situation.
What change do you want to make to your Nintendo Switch Online membership?
If you already have an individual membership and want to upgrade to a family membership, you can use the remaining days of your Nintendo Switch Online individual membership as a discount to purchase a family membership, up to the full cost of the family membership.
The value of your discount is based on the number of remaining days in your individual membership.
To purchase a family membership, you must be aged 18 or older and select a credit card or PayPal account for automatic renewal.
Follow the steps below to use your remaining individual membership days to purchase a family membership at a discounted price:
- Select Nintendo eShop on the HOME Menu to launch Nintendo eShop.
- Select the account that has the individual membership.
- Select Nintendo Switch Online on the left side of the screen.
- Select Membership Options to see the current membership pricing and plans, including the regular price of a family membership and the price you will pay after your discount is applied.
- Select Proceed to Purchase next to the family membership pricing.
- Review the on-screen information on automatic renewal and select the payment method you will use to set up automatic renewal.
- A credit card or PayPal account must be used to set up automatic renewal, but you can still select Nintendo eShop funds or My Nintendo Gold Points to make the purchase on the following screen.
- You can terminate automatic renewal or adjust your automatic renewal settings at any time after purchasing your membership.
- Review the discounted pricing and additional information on automatic renewal. By default, your available Nintendo eShop funds will be used for the payment. If you do not have enough funds, select the payment method you will use to complete the purchase.
- Check Agree if prompted, then follow the instructions on screen to complete the purchase.
- Your remaining individual membership time will be removed and you will begin your family 12-month membership.
- If needed, review our information on how to add members to a family group so that you can begin sharing your family membership.
For additional assistance with your membership plan, please contact us.
- There is not an automated way to combine the remaining time between two different types of memberships.
- If someone else in your family group purchased the family membership, you can leave the family group. You will still be covered on your individual membership until the time runs out.
- Make sure that you’ve terminated automatic renewal so the individual membership isn't renewed automatically.
- If you purchased an individual membership and then a family membership, you will receive whichever is longer - the remaining time on the family membership or the remaining time on your individual membership. (You may also find our information on Can I Purchase Multiple Nintendo Switch Online Memberships to Extend My Membership Time? helpful.)
- There is not an automated way to change your family membership to an individual membership.
- It is not possible to purchase an individual membership when you’re part of a family membership.
- If someone else in your family group purchased the family membership, you can leave the family group and purchase an individual membership for yourself.
- If you purchased the family membership, you will need to wait until your current membership ends and purchase the other one.
- If you want to change to an individual membership when the family membership you purchased ends, make sure that you’ve terminated automatic renewal so the family membership doesn’t begin again.
- Keep in mind that anyone else in your family group will also lose access to the service when your membership ends.
- For additional assistance with your membership plan, please contact us.