How to Restore Factory Settings on a Nintendo Switch Console Without Deleting Save Data
Instructions on restoring the console in the Nintendo Switch family to factory settings without deleting save data using recovery mode.
- Save data, screenshots and videos, and user information will not be deleted. However, all software saved on the microSD card (except for screenshots and videos) will be unusable.
- This method should only be used if you are planning to keep your console. If you will no longer have access to the console (for example, if you are selling it or giving it to someone), use the full restore factory settings process to remove all of your save data and user information.
Restoring the console to factory settings is done in recovery mode, which cannot be accessed if the console is powered on or in sleep mode.
Complete These Steps:
- Ensure the console is powered off.
- If the console does not respond, hold down the POWER Button for twelve seconds to force it to shut down.
- With the console powered off, press and hold down the volume up (+) and volume down (-) buttons, then press the POWER Button to turn the console on.
- Keep holding down the volume buttons until the menu for recovery mode appears.
- Once in recovery mode, select “Restore Factory Settings Without Deleting Save Data".
- If a Parental Controls PIN has been set for the console, you will be prompted to enter it to proceed. (Forgot PIN?)
- Read through the information, then select “Next” > “Restore Factory Settings Without Deleting Save Data”.