How to Hold the Joy-Con Controllers (Single-Player and Multiplayer)
Instructions to set up or change the holding position of the Joy-Con controllers for single-player and multiplayer games on Nintendo Switch.
While being used as wireless controllers, the Joy-Con controllers can be held in different positions:
| || |
As a single controller (dual-controller grip) or
As individual controllers (solo horizontal grip)
While you can navigate the HOME Menu using the Joy-Con controllers in the different holding positions, the holding position within each game will depend on the single-player and multiplayer options for that software. For example,
- Some games, such as Snipperclips - Cut it out, together!, allow you to use the Joy-Con controllers only in solo horizontal grip.
- Other games, such as Super Bomberman R, allow you to use the Joy-Con controllers in single player as dual-controller grip or as solo horizontal grip, while using the Joy-Con controllers in multiplayer allows for solo horizontal grip only.
What to Do:
To set or change the holding position for the Joy-Con controllers:
- From the HOME Menu, select "Controllers" > "Change Grip/Order".
- Any wireless controllers paired to the console will be temporarily disconnected.
- Depending on the holding position to be used, press the buttons on the Joy-Con controllers as follows:
How to Hold the Joy-Con Controllers
Buttons to Press
As a dual-controller grip
L Button (on left Joy-Con) + R Button (on right Joy-Con) or,
As a solo horizontal grip
SL Button + SR Button on each Joy-Con you wish to use horizontally
If the console is powered off or set to sleep mode, the Joy-Con holding position will automatically revert back to dual-controller grip.