How to Add a New User Account
Instructions on creating a new user account on the Nintendo Switch, and linking the new user account to a Nintendo Account during the set up process.
- If you already have a user account on a different console, you can transfer your existing account and save data instead of creating a new account.
- User accounts are used to manage each player’s save data and personal settings.
- Up to 8 user accounts can be created on the Nintendo Switch.
- A user account can also be linked to a Nintendo Account at any time after it is created.
- Once a Nintendo Account is linked to the account, the system's online features will be available.
Complete These Steps:
- Select “System Settings” on the HOME Menu.
- Scroll down to highlight “Users,” then select “Add User.”
- Click “Next.”
- Select the icon you would like to have associated to your account.
- Tap “More Options” for additional characters / backgrounds to choose from.
- If you would like to add a Mii instead of a picture, click “Mii” to create one.
- Once you have selected a character, enter a nickname when prompted. Select “OK.”
- Your nickname can be seen by other players, so don’t include any personal information.
- Your nickname can be changed at any time once your account is created.
- Select “OK” again to confirm.
- At this point, you will be given the option to link a Nintendo Account to your user account.
What would you like to do?
- Select “Create Account” to set up a new Nintendo Account.
- Optional - On the following screen, you can request an e-mail with instructions to link your Nintendo Account with a confirmation code. If you would like to have instructions sent to you, click here for help using this alternate method. (This is not required.)
- On your PC or smart device, visit http://accounts.nintendo.com and create a Nintendo Account.
- Once you have created the Nintendo Account, return to the Nintendo Switch and click “Sign in.”
- Select the sign in information for your Nintendo Account:
- "Sign in using e-mail address or Sign-In ID” - Enter the e-mail address or Sign-In ID and password associated to your account, then click “Sign in.”
- “Sign in using a different account” - Click the appropriate service (Nintendo Network ID, Twitter, Facebook, or Google +) and enter your log in information for the service.
- If you have forgotten your Nintendo Account sign in information, click here.
- You will receive a confirmation message that your Nintendo Account is now linked to your sign-in account. Click “OK” to return to the system settings.
- Select “Add User” if you would like to add additional accounts, or press the B Button to return to the HOME Menu.
- Select “Later” if you do not wish to create or link a Nintendo Account at this time.
- Note that many of the system’s online features are not available until a Nintendo Account is linked.
- Once your account is created, you will return to the System Settings. Select “Add User” if you would like to add additional accounts, or press the B Button to return to the HOME Menu.