How to Update Metroid Dread
In this article, you'll learn how to apply the latest software update to Metroid Dread.
On 8 April 2022, a new software update for Metroid Dread became available for download. Please take a moment to download and install this update while your Nintendo Switch console is connected to the internet.
- Save data will still be available for use after downloading the update.
- If the console is connected to the internet, the update will download and install automatically.
Complete these steps
- Connect the Nintendo Switch console to the internet.
- Return to the HOME Menu and launch the game.
- The update will be downloaded and installed automatically.
- Once the update is installed, the newest version number will be displayed on the title screen.
Click the version number below for information about the update. Each update also includes all previous updates.
- Ver. 2.1.0 (Released April 8, 2022)
- Ver. 2.0.0 (Released February 10, 2022)
- Ver. 1.0.3 (Released November 17, 2021)
- Ver. 1.0.2 (Released November 4, 2021)
- Ver. 1.0.1 (Released October 21, 2021)
Ver. 2.1.0 (Released 8 April 2022)
New Modes Added
Three different Boss Rush modes have been added to the game. Press the R Button on the “Samus Files” screen to move to the Boss Rush selection screen.
- A mode where players fight 12 successive boss battles and aim for the best time.
- Any damage received is carried over into the next fight. Weapon ammo is fully restored between battles.
- If Samus is defeated, players may select “Retry” to continue playing from the start of the battle they lost. There is, however, a time penalty for being defeated.
- Bosses fought in Boss Rush can be fought one-on-one at any time by selecting “Practice”.
- *Unlocked by clearing the main game a single time. (In the event that a player completed the game before the update was released, they will be able to play Boss Rush immediately after updating.)
- A mode where players see how many bosses they can defeat inside of the five minute time limit.
- Any damage received or weapons spent are carried over into the next battle. Even if time remains on the clock, defeat will result in a Game Over.
- Defeating a boss will add a fixed amount of time to the countdown clock. Defeat a boss without taking any damage to receive an even bigger time bonus.
- *Survival Rush is unlocked by completing either Boss Rush or Dread Rush.
- The basic rules are the same as in Boss Rush, but if Samus is hit by a boss, her energy drops to zero and she is defeated.
- Bosses fought in Dread Rush can be fought one-on-one at any time by selecting “Practice”.
- *Unlocked by clearing the main game in Dread Mode. (In the event that a player completed Dread Mode before the update was released, they will be able to play Dread Rush immediately after updating.)
- Fixed an error where the Game Over screen would not display properly when Samus takes damage and is defeated immediately after destroying a central unit.
Ver. 2.0.0 (Released 10 February 2022)
New Difficulties Available
- Rookie Mode has been added to the game. This is a mode aimed at new players, with the following adjustments:
- Recovery from enemy drops has been increased.
- Damage received from boss attacks has been lowered.
- Destructible boss projectiles have been made easier to break than usual (excluding some attacks).
- An increased number of missiles is available when beginning the game.
- The finishing counters when defeating some bosses have been made easier to perform.
- This can be selected by choosing "SELECT DIFFICULTY" when starting a new game.
- Dread Mode has been added to the game. This is an extremely high-difficulty mode where any damage taken from enemies or traps will lead to an instant Game Over.
- Can be selected after clearing Hard Mode if you choose "SELECT DIFFICULTY" when starting a new game.
New Details Added to Results Screen
- Several new details have been added to the results screen that appears after clearing the game. These new details will not appear, however, for game files that were started prior to updating the game.
- Fixed an issue where Samus sliding down a surface and touching a frozen enemy would force the game to close, after the message “The software was closed because an error occurred” appears.
- Made several other fixes to improve playability and enjoyment of the game.
The following updates to the Metroid Dread demo are also now available (Ver. 2.0.0).
- The scale of the playable area has been expanded, with the Corpius boss fight now being available.
- Added Rookie Mode, a mode aimed at new players where recovery from enemy drops has been increased and bosses’ attack power has been lowered.
- Added “SELECT DIFFICULTY” options when beginning the demo.
Ver. 1.0.3 (Released 17 November 2021)
- Fixed an issue where Samus’s damage detection would disappear under certain conditions.
- We made the decision to fix this issue because there is a possibility that it may occur unintentionally, and if it does, it will result in a play experience that is far different from the way Metroid Dread was originally intended to be experienced.
Ver. 1.0.2 (Released 4 November 2021)
- Fixed an issue where retrying after a Game Over would cause the play time to be added only when retrying a specific boss fight.
- Fixed an issue where the game would force-quit if you hit an enemy frozen by an Ice Missile with the Shinespark in a certain way.
- Fixed an issue that caused Samus to move strangely when jumping at certain times while using a Morph Ball Launcher.
- Fixed an issue where the final boss would get stuck on a wall and not be able to move during a certain attack, making it impossible to progress in the game.
- Fixed an issue where Samus would get stuck in the wall when defeating the E.M.M.I. in Ferenia in a certain position.
Ver. 1.0.1 (Released 21 October 2021)
- Fixed an issue where, if a map marker is placed on a specific door on the map screen (the door destroyed with the beam obtained at the end of the game), destroying that door at the end of the game would cause the game to forcefully quit with the message "The software was closed because an error occurred”.
- Fixed several other issues to improve overall gameplay experience.