Digital Game Purchases on Nintendo Switch
Once you have created a Nintendo Account, you can use your Nintendo Account to purchase downloadable software for Nintendo Switch from Nintendo eShop. Downloadable software that you purchase is tied to your Nintendo Account and can be played on your primary Nintendo Switch console and, under certain conditions, other Nintendo Switch consoles where you link your Nintendo Account.
- You can purchase downloadable software on the Nintendo eShop from any Nintendo Switch console associated with your Nintendo Account.
- The first Nintendo Switch console you use to connect to Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch will become the primary console for your Nintendo Account.
- A Nintendo Account can have one primary console, and while using the primary console, any user account on the console can play the digital software you've purchased.
- You can use your Nintendo Account to play your digital games on non-primary Nintendo Switch consoles, but the Nintendo Switch console must be connected online and other users on that console will not be able to play those games.
- If you have an active membership, save data (for supported digital AND physical games) can be shared between consoles using the Save Data Cloud Backup feature of Nintendo Switch Online.
- Click here for more information on the differences between using a primary and non-primary console.
How It Works:
Purchasing and playing downloadable software:
- Link a Nintendo Account to your Nintendo Switch console.
- Access the Nintendo eShop on the Nintendo Switch console and select your Nintendo Account.
- If your Nintendo Account does not already have a primary console, the console used at this time will be activated as the primary console.
- Purchase games and / or add funds in Nintendo eShop. These will be tied to your Nintendo Account.
- Download and start playing the games you have purchased.
- If not on the primary console, you must be connected online prior to starting downloadable software.
Warning: Funds and content are tied to your Nintendo Account and cannot be transferred to any other person, account or entity. They are non-refundable and cannot be exchanged for cash or credit.