Digital Game Purchases Through the Nintendo Website FAQ
Buying a Game
How can I purchase a game on the Nintendo website? Do I need to have a Nintendo Switch console?
A Nintendo Account is required to purchase games through the Nintendo website. You do not need to have your Nintendo Switch console with you, but your Nintendo Account must have accessed Nintendo eShop on a Nintendo Switch console at least once before you can purchase digital games on the Nintendo website.
To learn more about purchasing a game, please read How to Purchase or Pre-Order Software on the Official Nintendo Website.
How can I pay for my game?
You can redeem My Nintendo Gold Points towards the purchase price of digital Nintendo Switch games and DLC.
The remaining amount of the purchase will be deducted from your Nintendo eShop balance. If you do not have enough funds, you can add additional funds using the following methods:
- A valid VISA, Maestro, VISA-Delta or MasterCard (e.g. credit card, debit card or gift card)
- A PayPal account
- A Nintendo eShop Card
Is a Nintendo Network ID required to purchase games?
A Nintendo Account is required to purchase games through the Nintendo website.
The games you buy will be automatically downloaded to the console that is associated with your Nintendo Account.
When will I be charged for my order?
The full amount of the purchase will be deducted from your Nintendo eShop balance when you place your order. If you don't have enough funds, you can use a Nintendo eShop Card or a valid VISA, Maestro, VISA-Delta or MasterCard to add more.
- For released games, the game will begin downloading to your Nintendo Switch console as soon as you place your order. Once the download is complete, start the game from your console's HOME Menu to begin playing.
- For pre-ordered games, the game will be pre-loaded to your console at the time of your order. You'll be able to start playing after downloading a small update that is made available at the time the game is released.
For more information about this process, click here.
What is the order cancellation policy for digital purchases?
All sales are final. Please be sure that you meet all of these download requirements for your game before you place your order.
Why was my credit card declined?
Unfortunately, we aren't able to provide the specific reason a credit card is declined. If you aren't sure why your credit card was declined, please check with the bank or company that issued your credit card for information.
Downloading a Game
What do I need to download a game?
You'll need a Nintendo Switch console, a Nintendo Account, an internet connection and Nintendo eShop access to download the game once you've purchased it.
For help downloading a game, click here.
When can I download my game?
Your game will be downloaded to your console as soon as you complete your purchase, or, for pre-orders, no sooner than 7 days prior to the game’s release date. (Please be sure that your console meets all of these download requirements.)
- For released games, once the download is complete, start the game from your console's HOME Menu to begin playing.
- For pre-ordered games, when payment has been processed and no sooner than 7 days prior to the game’s release date, a non-playable version of the game will be pre-loaded to your console. You’ll be able to start playing the game after downloading a small update that is made available at the time the game is released.
For more information about this process, click here.
I don't see the game on my Nintendo Switch console!
Once you've completed your purchase, your game will automatically download to the console associated with your Nintendo Account. To download the game, your Nintendo Switch console must have enough memory space available and it must be turned on or in sleep mode (with an active internet connection). The game will appear on your console once the download is complete.
For pre-ordered games, the game will be pre-loaded to your console no sooner than 7 days prior to the game’s release date. You'll see an icon for the game on the HOME Menu, but you will not be able to launch the game until it is officially released. You'll be able to start playing after downloading a small update that is made available at the time the game is released.
If your game isn't appearing, try the following:
- Check the Nintendo Switch HOME Menu to see if there is a game icon that shows that the download is currently in progress. If the download is still in progress, wait until the download is complete.
- Make sure that your console is connected to the internet and meets these requirements. For help setting up or troubleshooting your internet connection, click here.
- Check "Data Management" in the Nintendo Switch System Settings to verify that there is enough space on your console to complete the download. If there is not enough space, delete some content.
- Check "Account Information" in Nintendo eShop (select your user icon in the upper-right corner). Any games that have been purchased or redeemed on the console will appear here, and can be re-downloaded at no additional cost.
How do you use my personal information?
Does my purchase qualify for My Nintendo Points?
Yes. As long as you have signed up for My Nintendo before you purchase the game, your game will qualify for My Nintendo Points. My Nintendo Points are automatically awarded to the Nintendo Account that was used to purchase the game.
To see your My Nintendo point balance:
- Visit http://my.nintendo.com
- Select "Sign in".
- Sign in to your Nintendo Account.
Once you're signed in, you can review your point balance and history, check out the latest rewards and view active missions you can complete to earn My Nintendo Points.
For additional help with My Nintendo, please visit our support site.
Can I add games to my Wish List through the Official Nintendo website?
You can add games to your Wish List by locating the game on the Official Nintendo website and selecting "Add to Wish List" on the right-hand side of the screen. If you are already signed in, the game will then be automatically added to your Wish List. If you are not signed in, you will be prompted to sign in first.
You can also add games to your Wish List by browsing Nintendo eShop on your console and selecting the heart icon.