Controller Pairing FAQ
How do you pair a controller to a Nintendo Switch console?
How many different controllers can be paired to a Nintendo Switch console?
In most circumstances, up to eight wireless controllers can be paired to the console. However, the maximum number of controllers that can be paired will vary depending on the type of controllers and features that are used. For example:
- The right and left Joy-Con each pair to the console as individual controllers, so if you connect both of them wirelessly then they count as two controllers.
Example: Four people can play, each person using one left Joy-Con and one right Joy-Con.
- Even if the Joy-Con controllers are attached to the Joy-Con grip, it counts as two controllers being connected.
Example: Four people can play, each using two Joy-Con controllers attached to the Joy-Con grip.
- When the Joy-Con controllers are attached to the console, they do not count against the number of controllers that can be connected.
- The Nintendo Switch Pro Controller is always counted as one controller.
Example: Eight people can play, each using a Pro Controller.
On top of the limit of connected controllers by type, the number of connected controllers is also determined by the features being used on the controllers, and whether local communication is being used.
- When a Bluetooth audio device is connected, no more than two wireless controllers can be connected. Disconnect the Bluetooth audio device in order to connect a third wireless controller.
How is the connection status indicated by the player LEDs on the controller?
|Player LED Status||Connection Status|
|LEDs are unlit||The console and the controller are not connected |
The connection between the console and the controller was cut
|LEDs flash repeatedly in sequence||The console and the controller are connecting|
|One or more LEDs has a solid light||The controller is connected to the console|
|LEDs are flashing||The controller has very little battery charge left|
How is the order of the controllers indicated by the player LEDs?
|Controller Number||Player LEDs|
How do you disconnect/reconnect a wireless controller?
- A wireless controller can be temporarily disconnected from the console by holding down the SYNC Button for at least one second.
- To reconnect, press any button on the wireless controller.
How do you delete the pairing information for all wireless controllers?
This can be done from “System Settings” > “Controllers and Sensors” > “Disconnect Controllers”.
Do the Joy-Con controllers need to be held vertically or horizontally?
While using the Joy-Con controllers wirelessly, the holding position will depend on the single or multiplayer options for the software being used. To change the Joy-Con holding position, click here.