“Checking if the software can be played…” Message When Starting Software
The information in this article can help you when:
- Launching software from the HOME Menu repeatedly prompts the message “Checking whether this software can be played…” and the game may start or result in another error message.
- You have recently linked your Nintendo Account to a new Nintendo Switch console, and are trying to play digital software that you purchased on a different console.
- You are attempting to play digital software on multiple Nintendo Switch consoles linked to your Nintendo Account.
- You are unable to play your digital software unless you remain connected to the internet.
- Other accounts are attempting to play digital software that you purchased using your Nintendo Account.
If your console is repeatedly checking whether software can be played, it may indicate that you are not using the primary console for the Nintendo Account that purchased the game(s). On a non-primary console, the game can only be started by the user linked to the Nintendo Account that purchased the game, and other users will receive error messages.
The solution depends on how you intend to play your games across multiple consoles.