Reset Password (Nintendo Account only)
Instructions on resetting your Nintendo Account password.
- If you are using a Nintendo Account for a child, your sign-in information can only be reset through your parent/guardian's Nintendo Account. For assistance, please click here and select "Nintendo Account for a child".
Complete these steps:
- Select the “Forgot your password?” link when prompted.
- Enter the email address associated with your Nintendo Account.
- Select “Submit” to have a temporary sign-in link sent to your email address.
- When the email arrives, click the link in the email.
- If you have 2-step authentication set up for your Nintendo Account, launch the Google Authenticator app on your smart device, enter the code it displays and select Verify.
- If you do not currently have access to the app, select Use another method to verify your identity and use one of the backup codes you received when setting up 2-step authentication. (You should have copied and saved these in a safe place.)
- If you can't find your backup codes, you will not be able to reset your password. Please contact us for assistance.
- Enter and confirm a new password.
- Do not include your date of birth as part of the password. An error message will appear if you include your date of birth and you will be prompted to select a different password.
- Please keep in mind that passwords must be at least eight characters long and must include a combination of characters from two of the following categories: letters, numbers and punctuation.
- Enter the birthdate or nickname associated with your Nintendo Account.
- Please make sure you are entering your Nintendo Account nickname, not your Sign-In ID (if you have created one).
- If you have forgotten the nickname associated with your Nintendo Account, you can find it in various ways:
- Check the email inbox of your Nintendo Account email address for emails from email@example.com. Your nickname can be found in certain emails from this address, including notifications sent when you created the Nintendo Account, signed in to a new device or made changes to your family group or Parental Controls settings.
- If you are signed in to your Nintendo Account on a Nintendo Switch console, under the "Nintendo Account" section of your user settings.
- From the HOME Menu, select the System Settings icon, scroll down and select User, select your user and then select Check Account Information. Your Nintendo Account nickname will be displayed.
- If you are part of a Nintendo Account family group, ask one of the other members of your family group to sign in on the Nintendo Account website and select Family Group. The nicknames of all members of the group will display in the "Family members" section.
- If you are unable to find the nickname associated with your Nintendo Account, try entering your date of birth instead.
- Select “Sign In”. This will reset your password and sign you in to your Nintendo Account.