Nintendo Labo combines fun interactive make, play and discover experiences with Nintendo Switch
Introducing Nintendo Labo, a new line of interactive make, play and discover experiences designed to inspire creative minds and playful hearts alike. Together with the Nintendo Switch console, Nintendo Labo kits provide the tools and technology to make fun D.I.Y. creations, play games with your creations, and discover how Nintendo Switch technology shapes ideas into reality.* Nintendo Labo launches on 27th April across Europe. Take a first look at Nintendo Labo in the video below:
Building on the history of Nintendo, which is rooted in innovative entertainment and gameplay experiences, Nintendo Labo continues the company’s mission of putting smiles on people’s faces. With each Nintendo Labo kit, inspired minds across all generations can transform modular sheets of cardboard – specially designed to interact with the Nintendo Switch console and Joy-Con controllers – into interactive creations called Toy-Con. From a piano to a motorbike, a robot and more, each Toy-Con comes to life when combined with Nintendo Switch in different ways. As you make, you will have fun discovering how the technology works and even invent new ways to play with each Toy-Con.
For example, you can make a functioning 13-key piano that brings your musical arrangements to life once the Nintendo Switch console and right Joy-Con controller are inserted. As you play, the IR Motion Camera in the right Joy-Con detects which keys are pressed and plays each note through the console’s built-in speakers. Budding musicians can also experiment with their own musical creations.
Or, you can take control of your very own motorbike by constructing a functioning set of handlebars, with a Joy-Con inserted in each side and the Nintendo Switch console cradled in the middle. Simply hit the ignition button, turn the right handle to engage the accelerator, and watch your adventure unfold on the Nintendo Switch screen, as you race to new destinations.
“Our goal is to put smiles on the faces of everyone Nintendo touches,” said Satoru Shibata, Nintendo of Europe’s President. “Nintendo Labo invites anyone with a creative mind and a playful heart to make, play and discover in new ways with Nintendo Switch. I personally hope to see many people enjoying making kits with their family members, with big smiles on their faces.”
With Nintendo Labo, making and discovering is just as much fun as playing. Every Toy-Con creation presents exciting challenges and varying degrees of complexity, so each one is a unique experience. Making Toy-Con is especially fun with family and friends, as you collaborate and share each other’s Nintendo Labo experiences. Once built, those with a creative touch can customise their Toy-Con creations with their own colouring pens, stickers and paint to give them a personal feel – the only limit is their imagination. A special Customisation Set that includes fun stencils, stickers and coloured tape will also be available to purchase from 27th April.
Nintendo Labo launches in Europe on 27th April with two kits: the Variety Kit and the Robot Kit. Both kits include everything you need to bring your Toy-Con to life, including the building materials and relevant Nintendo Switch software.*
With the Variety Kit, you can create many different Toy-Con, including Toy-Con RC Car, Toy-Con Fishing Rod, Toy-Con House, Toy-Con Motorbike and Toy-Con Piano.
- Toy-Con RC Car: Insert the left and right Joy-Con into your newly built RC Car and control its movement using touch screen controls on the Nintendo Switch. The HD rumble feature in the Joy-Con controllers will cause vibrations that move the car in the direction you choose. Materials to construct two RC Cars are included.
- Toy-Con Fishing Rod: Construct the Fishing Rod with an active, rotating reel that is attached by string to a cradle holding the Nintendo Switch console. Catch one of many exotic fish shown swimming on the Nintendo Switch screen by casting your Fishing Rod and unwinding the reel to lower the hook. Once you feel a vibration from the Joy-Con inserted in the reel, you must crank the reel quickly and tug the Fishing Rod upwards to try and complete the catch.
- Toy-Con House: By inserting various assembled blocks into openings in the sides and bottom of the House, you can interact, feed and play games with a cute creature on the front-facing Nintendo Switch screen. Each differently shaped block is detected by the IR Motion Camera on the right Joy-Con inserted on top of the House.
- Toy-Con Motorbike: Insert each Joy-Con into an assembled set of handlebars to drive a motorbike on the Nintendo Switch screen. Pressing the ignition button starts the engine, twisting the right handle activates the throttle, and leaning your body or turning the handlebars left and right controls the motorbike.
- Toy-Con Piano: After assembling a beautifully crafted 13-key piano and inserting the Nintendo Switch console and Joy-Con, you can create your own music by pressing different keys. You can even insert different assembled knobs to create new sound effects and tones.
- Toy-Con Robot: Create a wearable robot suit, and insert the left and right Joy-Con into the designated slots on the backpack and visor to assume control of the robot, which is shown on the TV when the Nintendo Switch console is docked. Enjoy a variety of fun game-play experiences, including Robot mode, where you can destroy in-game buildings and UFOs.
Nintendo Labo Workshop
You could be among the first to experience Nintendo Labo by applying to attend a Nintendo Labo Workshop. The Nintendo Labo Workshop is a special event where we're bringing kids, parents, media and influencers together to make, play and discover with Nintendo Labo. You may even become a part of our campaign to show Nintendo Labo off to people around the world.
To find out more about Nintendo Labo to apply for your chance to attend a Nintendo Labo Workshop, please visit the official Nintendo Labo website.
You can also subscribe to the Nintendo Labo video community on YouTube to be the first to see new videos and find out more about this new experience for Nintendo Switch.
*Nintendo Switch console is required and is sold separately.
For further updates:
Nintendo Labo on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/NintendoLaboUK
Nintendo UK on Twitter https://twitter.com/nintendouk
Nintendo on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Nintendo
Nintendo Switch on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NintendoSwitch
Nintendo UK on Twitch http://www.twitch.tv/nintendouk
Nintendo UK on Instagram https://instagram.com/nintendouk/
Nintendo Switch on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/NintendoSwitchEurope/