Nintendo provides updates on mobile, NX and The Legend of Zelda along with annual earnings
27th April, 2016 – Nintendo announced a variety of updates during the earnings announcement for its full fiscal year, ended March 31st. These updates included the first information about Nintendo’s next video game system, code-named NX.
“As we report the results of the last fiscal year, we also look forward to an exciting period ahead with further growth in our mobile business, new products for our dedicated video game systems and continued progress in our efforts to increase the number of consumers experiencing our IP through games, licensing and expanded entertainment,” said Nintendo President Tatsumi Kimishima.
For a complete overview of Nintendo’s financial announcements, as well as changes to Nintendo’s governance system, please visit Nintendo’s Investor Relations website at https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en. Announcement highlights include:
- Miitomo: Nintendo’s first app for smartphones and tablets has already crossed 10 million unique users worldwide. The free-to-start* social experience app launched in Japan on 17th March and in a variety of other countries, including the United Kingdom, on 31st March. Along with these outstanding user numbers, Nintendo also has, to date, sparked more than 300 million conversations in Miitomo. In addition, users can insert their Mii characters into photos to create unique “Miifotos” that can be shared through various social media. As of now, more than 20 million of these Miifotos have been created. To celebrate Miitomo reaching 10 million users, Nintendo will run a special 10-day “Celebrating 10 Million Users!” promotion between 29th April and 8th May.
- Nintendo’s Next Mobile Apps: Building on the positive consumer reaction to Miitomo, Nintendo announced that its next two mobile apps would be based on the familiar and beloved Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing franchises. Nintendo plans to release both of these applications this autumn. As for the former app, while making it more accessible in comparison to the Fire Emblem games for Nintendo’s dedicated gaming systems, Nintendo aims to offer the great value of a role-playing strategy game. Nintendo will design the latter game so that it will be connected with the world of Animal Crossing for dedicated gaming systems. By playing both Animal Crossing games, users will find increased enjoyment. Both of these are pure game applications. Compared to Miitomo, they have more prominent game elements, and the game content will tie closely into Nintendo’s dedicated games business. Nintendo will provide more details about these applications closer to their launch period, and aims to have multiple types of apps that appeal to different audiences and different groups of players.
- NX: Nintendo previously announced that it would release more information about its next system, code-named NX, this year. As the first announcement of any NX information, Nintendo confirmed that NX is scheduled to launch in March 2017. NX will not make an appearance at the upcoming E3 video game trade show in Los Angeles in June and will be unveiled later this year.
- The Legend of Zelda: The latest instalment in this classic series is scheduled to launch simultaneously for both Wii U and NX, and both versions of the game have been in development in tandem. Because the developers need more time to polish the game, it will launch in 2017, but it will be the focus of Nintendo’s presence at E3.
- E3: Nintendo changes its approach to the show every year. This June, Nintendo will focus its attentions on the upcoming game in The Legend of Zelda series. The Wii U version of the game will be playable for the first time on the E3 show floor, and it will be the only playable game Nintendo presents at the show, in order to provide attendees a complete immersion. Additional information about Nintendo’s E3 plans will be announced in the future.
*Offers in-app purchases.
For further details:
Miiverse website https://miiverse.nintendo.net/
Nintendo UK on Twitter https://twitter.com/nintendouk
Isabelle from Animal Crossing on Twitter https://twitter.com/AC_Isabelle
Wii U (UK) on Facebook https://facebook.com/WiiU.co.uk
Nintendo 3DS on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/nintendo3dsuk
Animal Crossing on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AnimalCrossing
The Legend of Zelda on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LegendofZelda
Nintendo UK on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/NintendoUK
Nintendo UK on Twitch http://www.twitch.tv/nintendouk
Nintendo UK on Instagram https://instagram.com/nintendouk/