Nintendo adds three Mercedes-Benz cars and enhancements to Mario Kart 8 from 27th August
6th August 2014 - For the first time ever, Nintendo’s Mario Kart series will be powered by some real-world horsepower. A software update on 27th August to Mario Kart 8 for Wii U will deliver a variety of new features for players, most notably the ability to download three free Mercedes-Benz cars that players can race in the game: the modern Mercedes-Benz GLA, the 300 SL Roadster from the 1950s and the legendary Silver Arrow of the 1930s.
Between 27th August and 23rd September, Nintendo and Mercedes-Benz will also host an online worldwide “Mercedes Cup” tournament. All competitors need is a Wii U console, Mario Kart 8, a broadband Internet connection and the Mercedes-Benz karts. Access to the “Mercedes Cup” in the game can be found in the online tournament section.
The Mario Kart 8 software update will also add a variety of new features designed to enhance the racing experience for everyone. These include:
- Drivers will now have the option to display the course map on the TV screen during races
- Users will be able to check out statistics such as their total number of coins accumulated, win-loss record from online play, and their most frequently selected character overall
- Users will be able to change options of others’ Mario Kart TV downloaded highlight reels, such as changing the focus to a new character or event
- The order of the menu after each race will be changed to “Next Race”, followed by “Watch Highlight Reel”
- The game will remember the most recent customised kart settings that were selected, even if the Wii U system is powered down
- Improvements to stability of connection in online play to enhance the user experience