What is Flipnote Studio 3D?
Flipnote Studio 3D is a free* drawing application that allows you to create your very own animated masterpieces. Whether you want to scribble quick notes or draw sketches, you’ll never run out of pages with Flipnote Studio 3D. There are a whole host of tools that will let you bring your creations to life and create high-quality animations. You can then share these creations with friends and users from around the world so everyone can be wowed by your talents.
*Small monthly fee to use the Flipnote Gallery: World service
Flipnote Studio 3D Features
Bring your images to life!
Your canvas is divided into three layers which lets you draw different images and overlay them. By using one layer for the background and then overlaying people or other images, you can bring a striking sense of depth to your creations.
Adjust the depth of the 3D image by simply sliding your stylus on the Touch Screen.
Use six colourful pens to create Flipnotes that are all your own!
In addition to the black, white, red and blue colours you could use in the original Flipnote Studio, you can now paint in yellow and green, giving you a broader palette to fully express yourself.
Sharing Your Flipnotes
Exchange your creations with nearby users via Nintendo 3DS local wireless connection.
By connecting to the internet you can put together exhibitions that your friends can enjoy. You can also view Flipnotes created by people from around the world and put together your own collection.
Flipnote Studio 3D lets you save your creations in a variety of ways. This allows you to easily upload and share them on video-sharing websites, blogs and social networking services.
Check out our Flipnote Gallery: Friends and Flipnote Gallery: World sections for more details.
* This software is exclusively for use on Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo 3DS XL. It cannot be used on Nintendo DSi, Nintendo DSi XL, Nintendo DS Lite or Nintendo DS systems.
* This software can be downloaded from Nintendo eShop when the Nintendo 3DS system is connected to the Internet.
* Find out more about How to Buy Games from Nintendo eShop.
* You can only appreciate the 3D effect of Nintendo 3DS on the system itself. All screenshots and footage on this site as captured in 2D mode.
You can draw as many images as you like, varying them slightly in each frame, so that when they are shown one after the other, they produce a great animated effect.
Draw lots of images and then flip through them!
Use all kinds of tools to express yourself
You can choose from a large number of useful tools to help you come up with creations that are entirely your own.
There are lots of other tools you can use too
- Pen: Use the pen to draw. There are 16 different types of pen. You can also add words to your images.
- Paint: Colour in your creations. There are 40 patterns to choose from.
- Erase: Remove words or images from your creation. Eraser tools come in 8 different sizes.
- Edit Area: Select an area to move, erase, change colour and more.
- Copy-Paste: Copy the selected edit area and paste it somewhere else.
- Outline: Trace the outlines of the selected edit area.
- Colour Swap: Switch the colours in the selected edit area.
- Set as ? Motif: Set the selected edit area as a motif that can then be replicated.
- Adjust the brightness or resolution of a photo or make it look like a line drawing. You can also adjust a photo's colouring.
- Record sounds with the mic and use them as special effects and music for your Flipnote creations.
Share with Your Friends - Flipnote Gallery: Friends
This community will be available free of charge and will allow you to share your creations with Nintendo 3DS users who are registered on your Nintendo 3DS friend list.
Flipnote Gallery: Friends – Features
- Create your own exhibition and invite your friends.
- Up to 20 users, including the gallery creator, can enjoy viewing each gallery.
- Post comments on your friends’ creations and let them know what you think of their work. You can also use the quick rating system to praise Flipnotes as ‘Cool’, ‘Funny’ or ‘Cute’ with the touch of a button.
- Download and save Flipnotes you like to your Nintendo 3DS.
- Create up to two galleries at a time, each of which will stay open for up to 15 days.
Once you’ve downloaded a Flipnote from another user, you can make it your own by adding animated sequences, editing and tweaking it.*
* If the creator of a Flipnote has chosen to lock it, other users will not be able to edit it.
Share with Everyone - Flipnote Gallery: World
A global gallery of Flipnotes
This is a paid service which will allow you to share your creations with Nintendo 3DS users around the world. All users will receive a free 30-day trial, after which you will need to buy a 30-day pass for a small fee. However, there will be a period each day when all users can access the service for free.
- 30 days = £0.89/€0.99
- Use of the service is free of charge between 3pm and 9pm daily.
How Flipnote Gallery: World works
Use these coins in all sorts of ways in Flipnote Gallery: World.
How to Use Coins
Use a Coin or Star Coin and post your creation to the gallery.
Use Coins or Star Coins to rate other users’ Flipnotes. The more you like them, the more Coins you can use.
Use a Coin to leave a comment about a posted Flipnote.
Use a Coin to save a Flipnote you like to your Nintendo 3DS.
What are Star Coins?
If you use a Coin to post your Flipnote to the gallery, it will be removed after 30 days unless you receive Coins from other users who rate you. However, if you use a Star Coin to post your Flipnote, it will not be removed after 30 days.
Ways to Enjoy Flipnote Gallery: World
Even More Ways to Use Coins
Use coins to rate Flipnotes you like and they will be added to your collection, meaning that all your favourite Flipnotes will be bookmarked and saved for you to look through at your leisure. You can also share your collection of Flipnotes with other users. The more other users make use of your collection, the more collector points you will earn. If you focus on building up a collection of great work, your chances of earning a free pass will be boosted.
Flipnote Gallery: World is a community that offers the chance for both gifted Flipnote artists and people who enjoy looking at other people’s work to earn coins and participate fully in the fun.